Day 15, Online Learning (School at home) and Day 16, 17, and 18

Expanded Version:

Quarantine Day 15:

Today we took an online water coloring class that Scarlett got for her birthday. It includes 15 lessons and we voted which one we were going to take today. "Sunbursts" was today's lesson. I absolutely LOVE them all. I especially love Mason and Juliet's. Something about how they bled and the colors they chose. But really, I love them all equally. Just like my kids. 🤓😎🤓😇😍 riiiiight.
*
Most agreeable child: Scarlett who today has just been so complimentary and nice to everyone. She also teared up today about how much she misses her teacher, Mrs. Hart, and how she wished we had a first grader this year so she could see Mrs. Davis's video chat tomorrow because she KNOWS it is going to be good. 😂


Online Learning:

This has been very time consuming for me. I have had to assist teachers, set up how-to videos, get kids and parents logged in/on and work in the Library.  We have had many hours of meetings and it has been wonderfully hard.  This is new for everyone and I feel like I have been on my phone or at the school for the last 4-5 days 24-7. I feel like I'm "on call" much like Nathan is when he gets calls all hours of the night. I am happy to have been such a help. But, I'm tired. HAHA


Last Summer we built this desk in the basement. I had envisioned a different use for it, but excited to start home-centered school-supported learning. AKA school at home. But this is not homeschooling to me. My kids are still seeing their teachers, still doing schoolwork, just at home.
I'm grateful for everyone's efforts in getting this going and we can't wait to Google Meet our friends and teachers later today. Also, Lucas is on Nathans mega machine. He will be doing his schoolwork in the teacher room we set up. More on that later. 😂




Behind Lucas is our FS room. It is massive 6x15. It is so big we put in 2 doors.  We also have a chokey/cold storage room for our canned goods, and my kids love to call it the chokey because it is cement and has re bar. HAHA!  We designed and built this house with a lot of storage because we knew we would have it paid off relatively quickly and thought it would be great for resale.  Also, if we decide to rent it out to the kids while they are in college, everyone has a place to store things without it being in the main living areas. Crazy? Maybe.  I won't even talk about the cereal bench above this storage room.  The kids joke we should buy a cow so they can have fresh milk and cereal whenever they want. HAHA


Online School (April 1)

Lots of BIG virtual hugs today. Lucas said he would not be doing this tomorrow when he finally gets to see his teachers. We converted the guest room to the teacher room. It is a closed room with a TV in it so they can hear their teachers and friends in complete silence. Mason cried. He misses Mrs. Wood so much! Who are we kidding. They miss everything so much!

Mrs. Olson (her math teacher)  Mrs. Moretz and Mrs. Bolkcom were on the chat too.
Bridget was SO HAPPY to see her friends.
Juliet and Mr. Kennelly. He is a household favorite. :)
One of my good friends, too!
Scarlett and Mrs. Hart. I have grown really close to Mrs. Hart in the last two years. She is over 70 and from Texas. We just adore her.
Mason and Mrs. Wood. It isn't 2nd grade without Mrs. Wood.  Everyone (except Lucas because we were in Colorado) has had Mrs. Wood. She is one of my best teacher friends.

Quarantine Day 16
We celebrated our first day of online school with Chick-fil-a for lunch.
4 posts in a day is a lot, so I'll end it here: my kids have always loved school and their teachers, today was bittersweet for them. Excited to see their friends and teachers but sad they weren't close enough to talk.
They did pretty good getting on and doing their stuff. I was pleased. 👍🏻

ChickFilA messed up our order, so this is round one.
We had so much food left over Nathan cut everything up and made dinner leftover tacos that night.

Lucas has been asking to have a 30 piece nugget with all the sauces for a while, so we did it today. A dream come true. HAHAHA


Quarantine Day 17:
In a weird turn of events our fun activity was "Eat through the small freezer night." Corn and hashbrowns exploded in our small freezer and we pulled everything out, cleaned it out, and they got to have everything that was open. Juliet and Scarlett had waffles and sausage links, Bridget had a Chinese bowl, Mason and Lucas had Ravioli and a Chicken Pot Pie. And Nathan had some veggie, potato and kielbasa hash that he created with all the random veg bags. LOL.
MOST AGREEABLE : Everyone! So they all had ice cream with berry compote for dessert. *
What a day. I got to experience Middle school as it was Lucas's first day of online school. What a trip. I guess we really are living in "treasured times."



Lucas did great getting on and getting to work.
He also declared that he would never want to online school or home school because he likes people too much.  He loves sports and training and having connections to his teachers. 
He said how he could see how some people would like it, but it isn't for him. He likes the day-to-day break of passing friends in the hallways, and in class, and once he is done with a teacher, he goes to another.
Also it snowed. Dang it!


Bridget broke her arm last Friday. Today (April 3) was the last in school day for staff.
Look what the teachers left for me:
I brought Scarlett to help me. She is my best helper.
I got through all of this before noon and then had 5 more carts turned into me FULL of books.

Blessed, I guess.

Today, Friday April 3 Scarlett was complaining about her collarbone.
To quote my friend Alisha, "at this point, I'm starting to think my kids were more safe at school" 😂
We have no idea what happened. But she has been in so much pain we decided to take her in. Covid 19? What's that? We are here for ANOTHER broken bone. Scarlett's collarbone and muscles are in a world of pain. Still waiting for final results. *
2 in a sling, 3 to go.

Alyssa (our neighbor) had Scarlett lay in an awkward way while examining her she wanted to see her get up without using her bad side. Then we went for X-Rays.

They slinged her, and we went home.  Her little bestie Averie had something waiting for her when we got home!!
We have some really great people amongst us.



Quarantine Day 18:
Today's fun activity besides Scarlett 's clavicle incident and you know, Bridget's broken humerous...we had an awesome opportunity to talk to our missionaries who have just returned home briefly for the quarantine. The spirit was strong and we were so excited to hear from our favorite people, Elder Prince and Elder Weatherston. The kids are PUMPED for conference now!! 




Quarantine hasn't been too bad. Now if we can keep the breaking bones to a minimum that would be great.  Conference is tomorrow and I can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment