A Free Day

I took the 2 week challenge of no picture taking and blogging. I decided to spend time with my kids and not document every last second of it. I was reading a magazine article at the doctors office about how the next generation is so programmed to look at a camera that nothing is genuine, nothing is special, because everything is special. The article went into how we use social media and our phones to out do and one up other mothers to justify staying at home. Or to show everyone what fun we are having, so we can hide the hard stuff...the real stuff. While I don't agree with the entire article, I do agree that having a phone with a camera readily available, it is easy to think everything is cute, and over document the mundane. I have more pictures of my younger two than I do of my older three. 
It was a great two weeks off. We rode our bikes, we colored with chalk till the street lights came on, made messes, and life went on.  I do love to blog, I like to post about what we did, so we can go back and look later. I do like reading other peoples blogs, and I love taking pictures. I think it was a good reset for me and my family. We slowed down and really enjoyed each others company.

Okay, enough with the rant.

Yesterday was conference day.
I prepared myself for 2 very different reports.
I asked the kids before I left, if there was anything they were worried about before I talked to their teachers.

Bridget said "nope, I know I am great, I know my teacher loves me."
Lucas said "well, I got a warning the other day for uncontrollable laughter. I tried, but the giggles were just inside of me."

And that is why I prepared for two different conferences.
Bridget's would obviously be less than positive and Lucas's would be stellar.

But, I digress, they were both awesome!

Bridget is above grade level in reading and math, and her teacher loves her.
Bridget is very helpful (read motherly)
Bridget has made friends with everyone in class, in fact, everyone writes about her in their journal. Haha.

Lucas has surprised his teacher. His vocabulary and fluency is off the charts. He is at a 5th grade reading level, and, she has promised to continue to challenge him. The problem is content. 5th grade reading levels means more mature literature and concepts. Lucas is just as high in math, and he only really had a problem with handwriting. He hates to write. He can, he just hates it. He writes a lot, has great content, but the penmanship is ... well ... hideous. I have decided to make that my personal mission at home. For all 3 older kids. Although, Bridget has beautiful handwriting. :)

After conferences, we headed over to Costco.



Juliet loves Pandas.

After Costco we went to Toys R Us because they kids each had $5 vouchers to use up.


Oh look, Juliet and another panda.


The kids enjoyed TRU


Then we went to Chick Fil A



I realize I just posted pictures of dumb things, but my Grandma has asked to see pictures of the kids. :)
LOL

Here are a few more from the past 2 weeks:






So, that's it.
I will post more, GiGi.

We are back to business as usual. :)

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see your back! Boyd too is way above his grade level in reading and I am struggling with the whole content appropriate stuff as well. And it makes me wonder what he is going to want to read when he is older! Good times. Glad all is well.

    ReplyDelete