Spike and Uck

Scarlett woke up in a great mood again today.
This isn't a great picture of her smile, but it will do.

Lucas and Bridget were ready to be explorers today. We went to the 10th Street Pond in Broomfield today. There is a Science Preschool Group that the city does and we joined Chrystal and her girls. Today's topic was Spiders.

Meet Spike and Uck.

Spike is Lucas's -- Orange with Eight Eyes. Uck is Bridget's ---Purple with one red toenail.

We learned that spiders don't have noses or ears and that they are nothing to be afraid of. If we see one, DO NOT STEP ON IT! The kids liked coloring the spiders and then went a little stir crazy waiting for all of the late people to show up, so we could get started.

Then it was time for the walk. We walked and talked about different things that live in the grass, and near the marsh. Then the teacher read Eric Carle's The Very Busy Spider. She handed out different magnifying glasses to the kids and some kids got bug jars with magnifiers on them.


2 kids caught Roley Polies and the teacher caught a daddy long legs. She showed the group.

After that Chrystal and I took the kids back the opposite way and let the kids explore for themselves. They liked looking at the different bugs.


Here are my two favorite pictures of the morning...


On the way home in the car Lucas told me that he is a better explorer than Diego because he doesn't need a Rescue pack to have fun. I laughed so hard, but had to be silent because I didn't want him to get embarrassed. Hahaha.

I can't wait to do another Science Day. I know my kids won't stop talking about it! :)

7 comments:

  1. So cute!!! Sounds like a ton of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like fun sans the spider part. I wish we had something like that up here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally fun. We did it last year and Emily loved it. Mordecai was still so small so he didn't get it. When we went to the pond though we learned about fishes and birds. Lets hang out soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that program! Too bad they don't do that everywhere in the US. Just think how excited kids would be to keep exploring if they had that all year everywhere!! Anyway, I hope you don't mind that I've been peeking at your recipe blogs...and even put some of the sites on my own so I can access them faster. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like our Ladybug Walks - such fabulous fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for the next edition! Thanks for braving the wind, and crowds with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when my little ones explore the outside world. Where is my spider? Ummm I dont really want one of those but a ladybug sure! It seems like they had a lot of fun. Its amazing to me how many comments you get. I thought I was the only one obsessed with your blog haha and I am family! Just goes to show hoe interesting you and my Lucas Bridge and Scarlett are!!
    XOXOX

    ReplyDelete