Goose-a-rella

My poor Bridget has had such a crazy summer. It started when she was hit in the eyes by a frisbee.
She only complained of a headache and so I kept an eye on it and everything seemed fine.

I am not the type of mom to just run to the Dr office.

There was no marks or bruises the next day so I just shrugged it off as a typical 3 year old injury. 

A few weeks later I noticed that her eyes were wonky.

More than they normally were. My friend from the Singles Ward is an ophthalmologist.
I had her look at this picture of Bridget.
Can you see it? The left eye (or right eye to her) seemed "off"

She said it is probably just how she was looking at the camera but that mommy instinct told me something else. I did a little Bridget research. I looked through a bunch of old pictures of her and noticed she has always had this eye thing.  It wasn't until we had pics taken and the photographer said "I will fix her eyes when I get home" that I thought it was time to take her in.

I went to the place we were referred to through the pedi.

This eye doc said she had lazy eye, wanted to cut her open and then slap some glasses on her.

I left the office in shock.

How could someone be so quick to cut open my beautiful little girl?

I was VERY uneasy about this.
I talked to several people in my ward who have "eye" issues and have gone through the whole rig-a-maroll with eye doctors.

I decided to take her to Children's Hospital in their Eye Office.

The doctor there did several tests, dilated her eyes, checked her again. It was a 4 hour appointment.

TOTALLY WORTH IT.

Dr. Steele told me that she has Extropia Amblyopia.
Its the appearance of lazy eye, but its just an alignment issue.
She has excellent vision, and the best thing to do is eye patch it for 6 months, 4-6 hours a day.

I am so glad I followed my instincts and got a second opinion.

The best part is that Bridget doesn't have to wear boring old skin color eye patches.
My friend Desi gave me the name to a "designer" eye patch place and my "goose" can wear funky fun patterned ones. This is very exciting!

I feel like the weight has been lifted and we can press forward and fix the eye with the least evasive treatment!

3 comments:

  1. what an ordeal! two thumbs up on listening to the mommy instinct!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to get lazy eye taken care of. My husband had lazy eye that never got taken care of and he is practically blind in that eye. Good of you to be observant enough to notice early on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our oldest daughter has a similar problem along with her eyes not working together as a team. Which means we get to do eye therapy (and we did the patching thing for 3 hours a day) Our eye doctor won't even put the younger kids in glasses until they've been seen 3 times in about 8 months and shown that they really need them. I'm shocked that they wanted to do surgery after her first appointment!

    ReplyDelete