Post 9 - A Series of FORTUNATE Events (part 1)

Nathan was going to take Lucas to lunch then go back to work. He decided to come back because he had "a feeling."  I called him and said "I need you to come home, right now." I was bleeding. A lot.

Nathan packs the kids in the car, I call his mom to meet us in the parking lot at the Hospital.

We drive to the hospital. We had just had 7 inches of snow the night before, but most of it was melted and it was sunny out and the roads were mostly clear. I start having contractions. I am panicked but kept my cool for the kids. I was spelling everything that I was feeling to Nathan which is starting to become an issue because Lucas is sounding out what I am saying from the back seat. I start breathing through. The hospital is 40 minutes away (the special hospital) but I am going to make it.

We pull up to the hospital and I am completely soaked. Nathan puts me on a wheelchair and runs me to the elevator and then goes back to the parking lot to wait for his mom.  As I get to L&D there are 6 nurses 2 OBs and 2 men to carry me if needed waiting in the foyer. I have soaked 11 pads in 30 minutes. The OBs decided today is Baby #5's birthday. 

I am crying a little, I am not ready. I didn't even shave my legs or make a bag. Nathan walks up and they told him I am having an Emergency C/S in 30 minutes.  They had double the staff on hand this particular day, everyone was joking that today was the perfect day to have the baby because there were so many hands on deck.

The anestheseologist was a cute chick named Serena. She was so comforting and nice and walked me through what was about to happen. Because this was C/S #3 they had to do a spinal and an epidural. She explained everything to me, and was a pedatric anestheseologist for years prior so that gives you a hint into her demeanor.

The OB's were the ones I saw the last time, so they knew me and were nice. All the nurses introduced themselves and then the NICU team came in - 15 just for my sweet baby.  I hadn't eaten all day. I had 2 glasses of water before getting there which was perfect for the C/S.  Except that they tried 6 times to get an IV in and ended up leaving 3 in, just to be safe.
I go in, get the spinal/epidural procedure and then Nathan came in. There were TONS of people waiting to get the job done. Everyone talked me through the whole thing. I needed to know what was happening as it was happening.  I had blood in my tracts so I needed a vertical incision, I told them that my husband digs scars and would think it was sexy. Got a good laugh at that. We guessed weights. I said I would love 3.10, but 3.2 was my guess. 3.5 was Nathan's and the OB's guessed 3.7.

They went in and its a good thing it was vertical because baby was up in my ribs and wedged so bad they would have had to cut me again to get him out.  He came out and my placenta nearly broke.  It was in 3 pieces and had 2 giant holes in it. It looked very very bad. They sent it to pathology for testing. I was so grateful it (the placenta) did its job for so long.

Baby came out and was not breathing. There were a lot of tears and silence and then a little meow. Once they got him breathing the first thing they said was "holy cow, look at those legs!" I waited patiently and said "Nathan what do you see?" He laughed and was interrupted by the Primary NICU Pediatrician "What a cute chin!" A sigh of relief - that was the only feature I really wanted him to have, then Nathan said "He has a TON of hair, and it looks curly to me. Bridget is going to be happy." YAY!!! A Brunette with a cleft chin and tall! 

They whisked him out, I made Nathan leave but he really wanted to stay with me. I wanted a million pics and someone to be with baby boy.

My insides looked pretty good. They were amazed that I had little to no scaring from the previous C/S and I asked if I could have more children (just for the reaction) and both OBs looked over with Huge Eyes and said  "seriously?" I laughed it was so funny...to me. Hahaha.  I was in unusually good spirits until they were interrupted by another OB who came in to ask a question and I could start wiggling my legs. I was freaking out. I asked if they were almost done because I could move my feet. They were shocked that my body metabolized the spinal that fast. (we were on hour 2.5 at his point) of me being open. They finished up, stapled me back together and then it was over. I went straight to recovery waiting to hear about our new son.
The whole procedure was 3.5 hours.

***

Nathan comes into the room and was all smiles.


Mason Philip Witte
Born: December 2, 2011---1:56pm
Our little 30 weeker was 3 pounds 10 ounces.
16.5 inches long and almost breathing on his own!

What a miracle.

They labeled him the fat kid in the NICU.

Here are a few pics...





 Look at that HAIR!

He is doing amazing for being so early. They can't believe  that after 24 hours he was taken off the ventilator and put on CPAP but is still doing it all by himself.  He starting eating through the feeding tube and seems to be doing okay. They are amazed at his progress and are hopeful he will just be in the NICU for growing and eating.

I was a little down that I didn't make it to the day they wanted but I could have died. 
My placenta basically burst and it could have been fatal to me and Mason.

The timing of today and the little miracles that happened along the way were truly blessings from God. I felt his love, hand, and presence with us today.

This was only the beginning...

15 comments:

  1. WOW!! I just put mascara on for church and then read this. Bad idea:) What a HUGE blessing!!!!!! I am so amazed and the miracles you were blessed with and am so incredibly happy that everyone is healthy, happy and that you continue to be blessed. Thanks for sharing such an intimate thing. You have been blessed!!! CONGRATS to the whole family, and double congrats to Nathan on his straight A's while going through all of this with you and the family!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations--I'm so glad everything turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow!! What a beautiful baby! I am so happy to hear that he is doing well and that you both survived this whole ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a strong person. I don't know what its like but I know you and your family are blessed.

    You are an inspiration. I am grateful to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well thank you for a good cry....lol. Im soooo happy to hear you and Mason are doing well. The Lord does have his hand in everything and it truly is a blessing. I hope you heal fast with no problems and Congrats on the lil one. He is so cute and im so happy he is doing so well for how small he is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, Val, what a miracle indeed! I am so glad that you and he are doing well. Congrats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Val, I am so glad to see him! He is gorgeous! He looks fabulous for such and early guy. Calvin was not nearly so cute. He was too skinny! Congratulations to the whole family!!!! And I'm so happy that all went well with you! It's wonderful that you are both so healthy! I'm just so happy for it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I'm so grateful everything went well for you and your beautiful boy! Lucas must be in Heaven! So glad that ordeal is over! You are such a trooper and apparently, so is Mason! He is def a Witte and sooooo very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! So glad for your whole family. Love the surgery photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that is some scary stuff, but Mason looks AMAZING! Congratulations, and thank the Lord for all of his blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Val, I'm so happy that Mason is doing well, and that you are okay! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What an ordeal! I am so glad you and Mason are doing well. I can't wait to hear Part 2!! Mason is adorable, even at 3 lbs 10 oz!! Love the dimple chin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yup it's official there are some big things gonna come from that little guy! So glad you are doing well. Prayers and thoughts are with you. I have a love/hate relationship with the NICU, but I know it will all be just fine with such a great team looking after you! Loves to you and that baby.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my Valerie! I am so glad all is well with you and little Mason. What a sweet little baby. You are truly blessed. And the best part...you have two kids born in 2011! What a reaction that will get!;) Congratulations! Thank goodness for all the medical technology and that the doctors and nurses were there to help...and that Nathan was able to listen to the spirit and return home to you. I am so happy all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing. What a scary story with a wonderful ending (beginning really). I pray that baby Mason continues to grow and be healthy, and for your recovery too. WAY TO GO, MOM! That was a tough one, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete