Sally Lunn

A long time ago before I was a Witte I used to dream of baking breads and cookies for my family and friends.  I used to cook for friends all of the time, in fact if you knew me when I was single you probably were invited to one of my "famous" dinners for the missionaries or for the parties where we totally pig out on foods that I had been dying to try.  If you were a super good friend you probably prepared a meal with me and probably gave me a recipe to make since I was game for anything.

I am still this way actually, but I am more shy about it with the people in the ward.  I love to bake. I have posted about it several times.  I was shocked when my own father one of my cooking heroes told me last weekend that he wasn't a very good baker. WHAT?!?!  Well, I am trying to show my children all that is good with food and baking since becoming a Witte I have been more into breads and doughs.

One of my favorite breads to make is the Sally Lunn. Its like a Brioche.  I was given a bread maker from my mother in law a long time ago - and I used it so much that within the first year of owning it it DIED!  I still make the Sally Lunn all of the time but have never shared it...Until now. (go ahead and gasp)

Here is some cool history about Sally Lunn herself.  What is cooler than Bath?  Its in 3 of Jane Austen's novels! Northanger Abbey (one of my favs), Persuasion and Mansfield Park! So

I usually make it in a loaf pan and serve it with my family's FAVORITE Raspberry Jam. But this time we made it in a Bundt pan with Strawberry Jam and I think this is the best way to eat it!

Here is the recipe and some cute pics too!

2  (1/4-ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
1/2  cup  warm water (100° to 110°)
1 1/2  cups  milk
3/4  cup  sugar
1/2  cup  butter or margarine
1  teaspoon  salt
2  large eggs
5  cups  all-purpose flour
Combine yeast and 1/2 cup warm water in a 1-cup measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes. Heat milk and next 3 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter melts. Cool to 100° to 110°. Beat yeast mixture, milk mixture, and eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Gradually add flour, beating at lowest speed until blended. (Mixture will be a very sticky, soft dough.) Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until dough is doubled in bulk. Stir dough down; cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until dough is doubled in bulk. Stir dough down, and spoon into a well-greased, 10-inch Bundt pan or tube pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 20 to 30 minutes or until dough is doubled in bulk. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted into center of bread comes out clean. Remove from pan immediately. Serve bread with Blackberry Butter, honey, molasses, or jelly, if desired.
I was so excited to teach my kids about tempering and leveling flour. This was great fun.  We made the first part before nap and finished up after nap.  It takes 2.5 hours to make and another 30 minutes to bake so this is a PERFECT Sunday activity!
 We talked about yeast and what it does.

 Cooling down the milk mixture over ice.
 Leveling.

 It grew!

 Mmmm
I am glad I could teach my kids about patience and how much homemade bread is worth the wait! 

2 comments:

  1. You can make that for me... if you ever visit... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such the cutest mom and such a good mom to teach your kids while you bake! I wanna be a mom like you when I grow up!!

    ReplyDelete