Christmas 2010 - in parts - part 3

There is something that I have been plagued with my whole life. If you know me you know what I am talking about. If not, I will share...I was born with...HUGE FEET.  When I was in the 3rd grade I wore a size 8 adult shoe. When I was in High School I wore an 11.  I worked it to my advantage by becoming a swimmer and not needing flippers but now I am in my adulthood and wear a size 12/13 shoe. If you can imagine it is not exactly easy for me to find shoes in general but cute ones are next to impossible. Well for Christmas - my husband found and bought me THREE pairs of cute shoes. They not only fit but they are so cute and so me!  Flats! Hahaha.  I don't wear heels because I am 5'10 and no one want to see an awkward Valerie clopping around in heels, trust me it is not pretty. Nathan did a fabulous job. I also got a laminator with refills! SCORE!

Now its time to get to the best present ever -

A long time ago when Nathan was "home" I had drawn up plans for my new entryway.  For months it looked like this...
It just wasn't working for me. The shelves were from Lucas's Baby Room, the  bottom shelf was an old shoe rack from our 1st and only apartment and it was just a mess all of the time.  It bothered me but it was part of the toy room so there was only so much I could do about it. Well a few days before Christmas I saw my son walking around with his daddy like this...
then they would go down to the basement or the garage "work on stuff" and then come up for bed.  I wasn't able to park in the garage or check on what they were doing because Lucas was so into this secret.

Well here it is...my Christmas Present:
(We haven't painted to bottom trim yet)

Isn't it awesome? Floating shelves, a bench and a cubby for baskets/containers for shoes?  The blue matches the curtains and the accent wall in our now living room.  I made the cushion yesterday. I LOOOOOOOOVE the fabric don't you?  I am a sucker for paisley.
There are a few finishing touches that Nathan insists on making on Friday when he is home and of course the tile will have to be mopped but I love it.  I also bought Cork Squares that I am covering in coordinating fabric to go on the other side of the door which I will post later but tell me what you think?  Did you like it better the other way? Hehehe.  I am so impressed with Nathan's skills and can't wait for the rest of this room to be finished! :)

6 comments:

  1. That IS the best present!! I'm big on entry ways, too. Our last house was a split level entrance and I HATED IT. Now we have the perfect entrance. The colors aren't as pretty as yours and the linoleum (yes, linoleum) is grotesque, but we're slowly working on making this house our own. Yay for you! Yay for organization! Yay for paisley (I love it, too)! And yay for husbands who do cool stuff for you for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda Dwyer (from facebook)12/30/10, 6:48 AM

    That is awesome Valerie!! Your husband did a wonderful job with your gifts. I think this looks great (and I love the paisley).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda Dwyer (from facebook)12/30/10, 6:49 AM

    BTW~ I read the other blogs and loved everything you made for your kids. They are so lucky to have such a creative/handy mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel Sollis (from facebook)12/30/10, 6:49 AM

    I love the bead board. And the blue is so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz Jensen (from facebook)12/30/10, 6:50 AM

    Show the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristie Clark (from facebook)12/30/10, 6:50 AM

    Love Love LOVE it! Your husband is amazing, but you already knew that. I still don't know what a floating shelf is but I might have to come down there and check it out for myself -- he may be telling (or helping) MY husband make some for me!! hee-hee!!!

    ReplyDelete