Overwhelmed --- with responses

I think people had a lot of great things to say. I appreciate that.

Free Time is really what you define as free.  When I take time for myself to sew...I am sewing things for my family.  When I catch up on a show I am usually folding laundry.  I don't just sit idly and do nothing. When I am reading, I am reading for Book Group or like another friend commented to better my skills as a house manager. But as Lindsey said it - we all need time for "me"

I don't like the term "Super Mom or Super Woman" because I am definitely not that.  I just do what works for me.  There are days when I leave my kids unsupervised and all hell breaks loose and I just have to laugh and deal with it.  I am reminded of this POST in particular.  Oh man those were some crazy days.

I feel like I need to clarify some things. My last post was not to make other moms feel less than average.

"I think its great that you do all the things you do and you have free time to boot. However, I don't really get why you feel like you have to let everyone know everything you are doing and how good you are at doing it. It generally makes other moms feel like they are less than average. 
 
So when you list all the amazing things you do and all the free time you have and then ask "Am I weird?" To me it reads, "Look at everything I do. Can you top it?" It upsets me that the other women who have commented put themselves down or feel the need to justify why they don't have free time. You get the validation that you are doing a great job with your kids and they get to feel like, "what the crap am I doing wrong?"


So, to the original question concerning whether or not SAHMs have/should have free time. My answer-does it really matter? We are all trying to be good moms and stay sane. 
 
And while I think that we should all try to focus on the positives and good experiences we have in motherhood, a healthy dose of reality is great cause for finding common ground."

Deep down it is not my goal to make people feel bad.  It is not my intention to alienate other moms but to give them the tools to do some fun stuff. That is why I do my other blog.  I am trying to share with other people all of the things they can do with their kids like I do.

I never felt like I should edit myself on how good my kids are because they are very good. My blog isnt to brag or put down others it is for my family all over the country who read it to see what we are up to and get the latest pictures on the kids. 

They have never commented on me gloating or bragging or embellishing because they know how I am. I have always been very creative, activity minded and good at looking at the brighter side of things.  I have posted before about the terrible days I have had but they always have a lighthearted spin on things.  I try to serve others and help my friends out as much as possible, as people in my ward can vouch for.` I always do a project or something fun while other kids are here and it's not to be better than anyone, or to one up anyone or anyone else.  I almost always try to do something fun while my kids have friends over because I liked that when a babysitter did that for me when I was young.

I was simply explaining how I get "free time" because my kids nap or because of how I have structured their time for them to be independent and not rely solely on me.  If it were hard or difficult or I was burnt out I wouldn't have had my kids so close.    

I am sorry if anyone feels like I am fake, or trying to be better than everyone else. I have always been this way...even in High School. I am good at juggling a lot of things at once. I just decided a long time ago with Nathan what was going to be important to us: 
Structure, Independence, and Problem Solving Skills and he helps execute when he is home.  I am trying to inspire those who may need it or wonder how I am able to do it.

I remember someone once telling me that a clean house and dinner on the table was the most important thing to them and instead of criticizing them I thought "I hope to be like that one day" 

I think my friend Hilary was right when she said
I think you have been blessed with the abilities needed for your family to run it the way you do. 

Exactly.  People who nurse and attachment parent are able to do it because they were blessed with the abilities...I could never do nor want to do it, but that is why we are all different.  I appreciate everyones feedback and think you are all great mothers and we should all take some time to pick out what we like from each other and use it in our own homes.  I think that is what I was going for.  Like a DIY blog, you see it then you edit/tweak it and do it your own way. :)

Sorry if I offended anyone.

8 comments:

  1. I never thought you were bragging and those who did probably are just insecure about themselves and abilities. Cheer up, I think you are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phoenix appreciates ALL that you do... now if you could just be that organized in planning your next trip down here... Pool weather is almost back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see how someone would think you were gloating, but that is just not you.

    I have taken the things that you have done and attempted them in my own home.

    You are just a pro at what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheyenne Witte (from facebook)12/22/10, 5:41 PM

    Wow I didn't read any replys after mine. I didn't take it like that at all. You were just telling about your day as an example you weren't bragging or trying to make anyone feel bad. You can't make anyone feel like they are doing something wrong. If they feel that way that is by their own choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think all mothers are way too hard one themselves. We are always comparing ourselves to other people and why we are worse or better than someone else. Some of us do feel inadequate at times when we read all that you do because some of us feel like we SHOULD be able to do all that you do. Everyone is different. What is good for your family may not be good for another family and vice verso. We do what works for us, if it doesn't work, then we simply need to try something else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to know how you manage to do all the things you want to do in a day -- do you say "9am is clean time, 10am is play time" etc? or just an order or what you with no timing involved? Also, if your kids didn't nap at the same time, or one stopped taking a nap, how would you arrange things to still get in your creative time? I am TERRIBLE at time management, so I like the tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I am NOTHING like you, as we both know. You are the queen of crafts. I still have that book of pictures from our almost-deadly rafting trip, and honestly, I wouldn't know how to begin doing something like that. And I'm SO HAPPY they gave you the activities committee because Val, you rock at it.

    I love reading your blog, because you're real, and it's obvious that you so love your kids. I LOVE that you share yourself on your blog--I am more organized because of your example. I don't think I'd ever be able to throw as awesome of a party as you, but I'm ok with that. :)

    Don't worry about offending anyone. If they're offended by your blog, there's this awesome red box in the upper right had corner that they can click and it will go away. :P I, for one, will continue to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! This post makes me laugh because anyone can look perfect on a blog, you can post what you want, of course you're not going to post the bad parts of your day, you don't want that to be remembered in your families album of the blog. People need to lighten up, if you think you can or can't, you're right. I love your blog. I didn't grow up in a "normal" family so routines were out of the question. I love to get ideas of what to do with the children and I love to see you working on your house. If anyone disagrees they are just TOTALLY JEALOUS!

    ReplyDelete