"Brownie" Before Breakfast - Birth Story

It all started yesterday. I was getting ready for Enrichment and started having contractions.  11 minutes apart but pretty sporadic so I went on to teach my class. We had decided to ask my almost on a mission brother in law to come over just in case.  My kids love him and it was better than having to wake someone in the middle of the night. I left enrichment having pain in my lower back but decided to try and sleep.
This morning I woke up at 2:30 AM with some strong contractions. I knew they were "real"--the kind that jolt you out of slumber and get things moving. And I started to panic. Like shaking, scared, going to a dark place in my mind. I was scared of the pain that a VBAC can cause. Scared I wouldn't make it to the hospital in time. Really ready for the epidural, even though I had planned on giving it a go au natural like Lucas and Bridget. 

The contractions were on top of one another, I woke up Nathan, who has been plowing through my to-do lists like a champ, running on little to no sleep. I felt terrible for waking him up, but feeling I needed to get to the hospital to check things out. We got dressed, he threw some things in a bag (Me: "What?! You're just packing NOW?), loaded our gear in the car, and I realized Chris was in our house! Nathan told him we were leaving and he surprisingly sounded happy that early in the morning looking back I think he was still asleep. I told him we would call him and let him know what was happening. 

I arrive at the hospital a little shaken at the abruptness of actually "being in labor" and ditching my kids in pajamas asleep without saying goodbye. Its funny because I would have taken anyone's kids at anytime but relying on someone is hard for me. At least he is family. :) And he is leaving in a few weeks so he needed some much needed lil' Witte time. 

We got there at 5:45 weird amounts of traffic for a Wednseday morning. 

The sky was dark as they checked me...I was at a 6.5. Having contractions 3 minutes apart.  Dr. Long walks in and says "let's have a birthday party!" Excited, I said okay! A little squealing - I am 13 days early! Which they informed me when I got there that the last ultrasound said I was due the 28th...whatever. The eggplant I ate last night worked!

- One Problem -

She is posterior and sitting up...doing a little yoga if you will.  They informed me and Nathan that it was time to prep the OR...I was in fact - having a Repeat CSection. Dr. Long looked like she was going to cry for me. There is nothing I wanted more in the world besides a Witte-Chinned, Brown like Bridget baby with a VBAC.
Nathan assuring me this is the safest thing to do and the kids can come visit after preschool(s) was better timing too because  Chris would only have Scarlett for the day. (lets face it Scarlett is his favorite) 

I say okay (Me: "What else could I say? No! Stomp Stomp Stomp! I won't let you cut me!") They prep me for the spinal, it goes smoothly. I cried but the nurse (named Bridget) comforted me the WHOLE time. I lay down and suddenly I have the urge to sing "Feed the Birds Toppins" from Mary Poppins.  Dr. Long looked over and asked if I needed a moment. I thought I was totally singing in my head. Guess not!

Dr. Long let Nathan watch the whole thing and gave him a play by play. As they pulled her out they let us know that the cord was wrapped around her leg 3x and it was a really good choice for the CSection.

"She is here" Nathan says, totally proud of his Witte contribution.  Dr. Long and the nurses say "what a beautiful baby!" 

What was my first question?
Does she have the Witte Chin? Before I could ask the nurse said "Oh my gosh, look at that chin!"  I knew...SHE GOT IT! :D

Then I ask Nathan who is she who is she?
Is she a brownie? (Nurses totally give me this look like WHA???)
They show me my new baby and it was Scarlett's face with Bridget's coloring...a perfect combo of sisterhood.

Relieved at the answers I close my eyes and sing a big finish "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" that was in my head I promise! :)

So here she is...
This isn't it--there is more.  As they are stitching me up Dr. Long tells me she needs to fix some things.  Apparently my bladder fused to my uterus and that is why I was having a hard time dropping.  I also lost a lot of blood because I had some problems on the cellular level. Perfect for someone who is EXTREMELY anemic while pregnant! They had to clean it all up before sewing me back up. 
 
They started at 8:00 she was out by 8:08 and I was done with the surgery by 9:10.  I am a little sad about the VBAC but no matter how she came out she is still ours and beautiful. :) Oh, and the most important thing --- I was okayed to have another baby! Hahaha.
She has HUGE feet and Loooooong fingers like my lil' orangies.
We had been tossing names in the air for months but when Nathan held her he said proudly that her name was Juliet Elise.  i kinda figured it would be but its cool - the man needed to be sure.
She is such a joy and sweetie.  She has been so chill so far in the few hours she's been out.  

Here are the stats -
Juliet Elise
born Feb 16, 2011 (the day I wanted)
at 8:08am
7lbs 4oz
20.5 inches long (our shortest kid)

I can't wait for the kids to meet her! :)

14 comments:

  1. Valerie!!! She is so beautiful and you and Nathan look so happy. I am glad that everything turned out and that everyone is ok. Yay for being cleared for more babies:) HAHA Please let me know if I can help in any way! PS-I love her name (especially her middle-just like Lucy). I can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'm glad you got your brownie:) HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks like a Witte. So sweet and cute. Can't wait to meet her in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. What a beautiful baby. I love all that hair!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations, witte family! i'm so glad you got your brownie, val. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally excited! When can I come and bring you a milkshake??? You need one after all that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's beautiful! I love the picture of you holding her and she's smiling...priceless!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, congrats! She's beautiful! How do you make babies with hair? Mine are baldies. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. too cute! I can't wait to meet her!

    ~Tara

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy for you! She is beautiful and I'm so glad she's a "brownie". Amazing how seeing how beautiful and perfect she is can take away the disapointment of the c-section thing. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! Can't wait to meet little Juliet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe how fast that all happened! Congrats! And her name is almost just like my sister- Julia Elise- very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! She is adorable!

    ReplyDelete