Jewish Day

We have been talking a lot about Hanukkah. Mostly because, finally in my married life, I am not pregnant, I didn't just have a baby, and we are going to my cousins barmitzvah. The kids have never heard of it before, understandably and it was time to talk about it. I was so excited to talk about Grandpa Horn's jewish background. The best way to do this was through food!

So, we made Latkes. 
MY FAVORITE!

The boys were in charge. I sat back with the girls and read books and we watched a few Jewish specials on tv. There are so many resources out there!


Lucas was a mad potato peeler.  Then JuJu wanted in. She muscled her way right next to him so she could help too!


Nathan bought the gargantuan sized potatoes. I just love sending him to the store instead of me doing it (NOT!)


Yes, she really licked it!


Juliet was oohing and aahing the whole time. I love how Lucas is protecting her (above)


I made Lucas sing the Latkes song:
"Take a potato, pat pat pat
Roll it and make it flat flat flat
Fry it in a pan with fat fat fat
Hanukkah latkes just like that!"

He did it once, and was done. LOL
Nathan fried them up and we ate them for Lunch.




Everyone loved them.


They were perfectly crisp and soft.

Lucas was so proud of himself, he called Grandpa and GIGI and told them he was learning about the festival of lights, and the oil, and Jewish people. And that HE made latkes! They both liked that.

Later, we watched Grandpa on TV!


Pretty awesome day!
I am so glad my kids get to learn about this stuff from me.

1 comment:

  1. I think Juliet is a mini Bridget. I see Scarlett too.

    ReplyDelete