Free-ash Berries!

(Free-ash = fresh in Scarlett southern accent.)

We were going to go to our usual berry picking place with my friend Ryan and her boys, but she hurt her back so we rescheduled. I didn't want to take the kids to the one we always go to (by our house), and spoil next weeks trip - so we went to a fun new place in Boulder.
This place was awesome. This farm was very large and is a farm run by the original farmer's son.
It is so clean and spacious!
I loaded up the kids at 8am and in an attempt to beat the heat we arrived right at opening.
It was already 90 degrees when we got there!
So I sprayed the kids down with sun screen and we went to work. 
This farm sells eggs and we were able to pet a few chickens and grab 2 free ones to try.
Once the farmer counted the 6 of us he gave us a half dozen to take home. :)

I was able to learn about growing things in my own yard and he gave me a few garlic seedlings to take home and sprout for myself. I am so excited since we go through 3-5 whole garlic's a week.
They were having a farmer training class so my kids took part in that.
The kids found baby apples, but decided that Apple Picking at the Hampson's in the fall would be so much more fun. So we left them. 

Mason was thrilled to be out of the car seat!
His leg braces are working wonders and he is doing so much better (muscle tone wise)

We trotted down the huge field, it was shady and there were roosters and big dogs around, so Bridget clung to my leg, the.entire.time.


Then it was berry eating picking time!


Juliet ate too many, so I told the other kids they had to wait till we got home. I thought that would even things out.  The kids were little work horses.

They picked: 3.5 pounds of Raspberries, 2 pounds of strawberries, 2 pounds of blackberries and 4 pounds of cherries! We are set for the week. Hehehe.

 
How could I stop her? They were AT her level! Also, look at this face:
 
*melt* seriously!

We came home, had lunch and then turned our raspberries into ICE CREAM!

 Juliet was SUCH a help...riiiiiiiight.
 Goose, following every step!

While it was freezing, we built a fort.
 I love this boy!
 Off to grab blankets!
 No Juliet!!!!
 Juliet!!!!
 JULIET!!!!!!
 I was telling Nathan how when I was young how much easier it was to make forts with my sister, but that was because my parents slept on a california king. All we had in the house were queen sheets and Mason was staring at me just listening.

PS - WHEN DID HE GROW SO HUGE?!?!

 In the fort.

Then the ice cream was ready.

 It was delicious, but I was nervous so I bought this just in case:

 In case you were wondering...
The homemade was better, duh! Why do I doubt myself?

It was a GREAT and busy day.
We checked off 3 things of our summer list!
Berry Picking, Make Ice Cream, Build a Fort!

Now I need to hit the hay, I have a feeling that this sleepover is going to keep me up ALL night!
Lucky for them, I love them even on no sleep!



2 comments:

  1. I love that you took them to the farm. You're such a fun mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun! By the way Blythe would be wrapped around me if there were roosters and dogs around. I know the feeling!

    ReplyDelete