Half

I always hear people who complain that their birthday's are in December or their kids birthday's are in December and how it is so terrible and unfair.  What about the people who's birthday's are in the summer?  I think its worse because they always get jumbled the last week of school.  May one day, June one day, July one day, August one day.

I didn't think it was fair that if your birthday lands in the summer you should have to share a song, treat and specialness with a bunch of other kids when everyone else's birthday during the year got celebrated individually.

So I took a stand and told Lucas's teacher that this year instead of having a July day we were going to celebrate his half birthday. She was excited and thought it was a great day since there are no birthdays in January....it worked out so well.

So I went overboard as usual. Haha. No I did a pretty good job at staying in control of what we were going to do. For some reason in Lucas's class when its your birthday you bring a little goodie bag for everyone in the class.  I thought since he was having a different kind of birthday he should have a different kind of goodie bag. So here it goes -
 I bought the Chinese Boxes in Blue, the Notes were Red and the inside stuffing was yellow.  I found the 1/2 notepads at target in the dollar section 6 for a dollar and the 1/2 pens too.  I printed Lucas's picture and Header on a mailing label and put it on top of the batman notepads. :)
Luckily I only had to make 12 plus 1 for Mrs. MacDonald. 
 We were packed and ready to go and Bridget tripped Lucas and he hit his head on the leather ottoman, you know the one we bought so no one would get hurt?
 It was so ugly and terrible looking you could even see the stitches from the leather on his head. He was upset about it so we covered it with a band aid.
 Each package had a little note that read:

Another Birthday is drawing near,
I’m half way through another year.
The problem is school ends in May,
And I can’t wait another day.
So Milk and Donuts for all,
I’ll start to explain for y’all…
What’s in the buckets and why-
I decided not to wait until July!

½ sized Fruit Roll Up Stickers – my new favorite snack
½ Notepad with ½ Pen – to write awesome stories
½ sized Army Men – they are AWESOME
½ dipped chocolate cookies – something fun to eat
4  Life Savers – that is how old I am today!
4 Stickers – stickers are neat

I hope you enjoyed the snack and special gift
Hope everyone catches my drift
When I say how lonely a July birthday can be
When none of you can celebrate with me!

Love, Lucas Witte

(It took me 2 tries but I think the poem came out cute. :)
Here he is after school with his special 1/2 day hat and bursting at the seams to tell us all about his day!
Everyone loved his donuts and milk snack instead of the traditional cupcake and juice! SCORE!

Happy Half Birthday Little Big Man!

Dinner Tonight:  Rachel's NY Chicken Panini's

1 comment:

  1. Our plan is to do that this year with Samuel since his birthday is the beginning of August. February 5th is his "day". Thanks for the good ideas!

    ReplyDelete