Babysitting Onions

Today was Stake Conference. Our Stake is the biggest Stake in North America. They like to brag about it whenever we have a conference. Just Kidding. But really, we have 14 wards in our stake!
Because we are so huge, they encourage people to carpool, and they broadcast it at another building. I remember the last time we went as a family (I was PG with Scarlett) and it was so packed at the Stake Center, we could barely get into the hallway. There were people in every room, corridor, and crevase, of the building that it was hard to actually enjoy it. So, Nathan and I decided to take turns, and have ever since. 

I was making granola bars and heard the girls discussing something by the front door.
They were actually reading a book. It was so cute!

 Some days they are best friends, and others...well, they just aren't.

After lunch we pulled out our Summer Plans from Last Year.
Cleaned them off...
And made our new list.
We had 50 items last year and this year we have 55.
Each kid got to pick 2 things to add to the list.
I wish someone picked sleep in. :)

Then it was time to make dinner.
There is a boy on our street named Alex.
I don't know if I have mentioned him before, but his mom has stage 3 cancer and on the weekends his dad brings him and his sister to the Grandparents house (our street) so he can visit his wife.

Alex is a great kid and really needs someone to play with on Sundays.
Even though we have a no outside play rule on Sunday, we have bent the rule for Alex.
His grandparents have told us that Alex needs a friend who doesn't ask about his mom, and Lucas has been a perfect little friend to him. He is always polite and knows the rule, and always brings Lucas home on time.
Bridget has been eager to get on her two wheeler after her big fall and we realized her other bike was a tad too big for her. Nathan took her out today for one last try and she is now officially riding a 2 wheeler.
I am sure Scarlett is not far behind, she was observing and taking notes in that little head.
Scarlett lacks coordination, so that will be fun to watch...when the time comes.

Anyway, I was inside cooking and everyone came in and Bridget asked what I was doing.
I told her I was making an Onion Tart, and you have to watch the onions a very long time so that they don't burn. She quickly ran out to tell her sister that I was inside "babysitting onions" it was funny.
Am I the only one who loves to watch onions go from this...
to this...
to this...?
This tart was so good, it was low in calories and sweet and delicious.
I told Lucas it was for him and he was ready to dig in.

We completed our list, picked out our clothes for tomorrow, and read a chapter from The Magician's Elephant. We also read from Ready Freddy.  Everyone loves Freddy in our house. :)
This is going to be one fun summer!

1 comment: