"I tried."

I remember a time when I was pregnant with Lucas and I was in charge of YW in Excellence.
I was a day or so away from finding out the gender of our first baby and remember telling the parents how lucky I felt to be working with such wonderful girls. 

This was my first calling in YW and I was obsessed with it.
During my little spiel about the girls, I joked how badly I wanted my baby to be a girl so that I could share with them this awesome program.

I came home and told Nathan, in tears, how badly I wanted "this baby" to be a girl.
I didn't grow up with brothers, and wasn't going to be a good mother to boys.

He laughed at me, like he normally does when I am being ridiculous.
He told me he didn't want ANY girls because - girls are hard.
There is so much unknown, so much "drama" and how boys are cut and dry easy and have less emotions than girls. He told me how one girl would be fine, but of course, later down the road.
He told me he would NEVER do hair. It would NEVER be done right, and so, brushing it is all he would do. Haha.

A few days later, we found out we were having a boy.
Nathan was grinning ear to ear.
I was ... not.

Over time I warmed up to the idea and was actually excited for a boy to be my first born.
What would he look like? Who would he be like?

The day he was born was a wonderful day. I was in labor for less than 3 hours, he came out in a few pushes and his first face to me and his father was a serious one.

In an hour of life, Lucas perfected the furrowed brow.
He was a great baby.
Always happy and serious at the same time.
This kid was meant for something big.
see a little of Mason here, huh?

Today was Lucas's big assessment at school.
They had kindergarten testing and he had a special gifted test that they wanted him to take.
There were 4 kindergartners chosen to take this test. 
It was similar to the IQ test he took before school started.

I went to help with the assessments and be the mom helper for the day.
Nathan stayed home with the other kids.

Lucas did really well on the math portion. (no surprise there)
There was quite a bit of algebra but he wasn't phased at all.

I walked home pretty proud and see Juliet looking out the window, her usual place.


I come in and see this...


Nathan says "I tried"

I laugh and he said, "3 girls. 3 of them."
"She is lucky she got a matching headband!"

I laughed and he said "There is so much to do for a girl. UGH"

Eventhough we have 3 in a row, I know he loves them and tries to do his best with their hair.
He asked how Lucas did (while holding Mason) and was all smiles again. Kind of like the day we found out Lucas was a boy. He looked down at Mason and said "that's right, boys are awesome!"

I feel so lucky to have these amazing kids and a husband who is such a great father.
He went to work late so that I could go in and help.
We have worked it out so that I am able to help out quite often and for that I know Lucas benefits, as much as I do. :)

Over the next few Fridays I am going to flash back to when Lucas was a baby - one years old.
I wasn't blogging consistently then and feel like I need to write more about him and a few other things.

Lucky that I have it written down in a journal so I can just transfer it here.
You will love seeing old pics of Lucas. He was a fun little man. :) (still is)

No comments:

Post a Comment