Crack!

Well, Cracked Wheat, really.

Since rainy days and baking go hand in hand in my house, I thought today would be a perfect day to try out some new recipes.  Since losing 51 pounds (since January) I have been really focusing on eating better.

I have a ton of weird stuff in our Year Supply thanks to my MIL Cindy - who gave us a great head start.
We have everything ready for a real emergency, minus a few little things here and there.

I decided today would be the day to learn how to use some of this stuff.
I already make wheat bread, grinding my own wheat so why not try some of the weird crazy items!

Today was :
Cracked Wheat
google images pic

What is this?
Cracked wheat is a wheat product made from whole raw wheat kernels which are crushed or cut into smaller pieces. There are a large number of uses for cracked wheat, and the food makes a popular dietary supplement in many cultures. Many grocery stores carry cracked wheat, which should be stored in a cool dry place until use so that it does not go rancid. If not used within one year, cracked wheat should be discarded.
A similar product, bulgur wheat, is also made by cracking wheat kernels. Bulgur, however, is made from wheat kernels which are steamed and toasted before cracking, so that they develop a rich, nutty flavor. Bulgur also requires minimal cooking, since it is already partially cooked. Cracked wheat, on the other hand, uses whole raw wheat berries. Numerous other types of cracked grain are also available for use in various recipes and animal fodder.
Because cracked wheat is made from whole wheat berries, it carries a great deal of nutrition and fiber since it includes the fiber and nutrient rich outer bran and germ of the wheat. For this reason, it is often added to healthy diets, especially those eaten by people who are concerned about heart health. Other whole cracked grains may be used as well, for variation in flavor and nutrition. - from wisegeek.com

I made 2 things with it today:

Sourdough Cracked Wheat Bread:


 Here it is in sandwich form. :)

DELICIOUS!

Cracked Wheat Cereal (kids had this for lunch)

DELICIOUS!

I was pretty proud of myself. Cracked wheat seemed scary to me. I am glad I have it in my food storage, and even happier I know how to use it!  Next week Amaranth.

1 comment:

  1. Cute pics of the boys! I loved the cracked wheat photos too! I grew up on that, and sometimes when we ate cracked wheat cereal my mom would let us have vanilla ice cream on it:)

    ReplyDelete