26. Build something from start to finish ALL BY MYSELF

So I am SURE everyone has seen these on Pinterest. They are the Ikea Spice Rack turned into book shelves.

My friend Michelle drove to TX from LA to get them and they were gone. My friend Sarah couldn't find them in Utah, my friend Jess couldn't find them in California. I even called CO's store and they are out of stock.
So - what is a girl to do? Make them herself!

The best part, is that I am not limited to size, because I am making them the dimensions I want. Love that.

Here goes.

I looked at the plans with my super handy hubs.
We decided to buy 1x2s and 1x4s and because I don't trust that back hook on the original shelves, I put an oak veneer on the backs, for extra security. You have to put a screw in the wall anyway right?

I wanted 2- 18 inch shelves and 2- 30 inch shelves...to start.

I measured them all and cut them all on the table saw...or in our case...the floor saw. Hahaha. Also, pink sweatpants were a requirement! Hahaha.
 Go Ahead and tell me how sexy I am on the Weekend! LOL

 They were so easy, and CHEAPER than Ikea!
Not to mention, the sizes I wanted!

Here they are before they are painted and sanded.

Here they are completed on the wall. 

Sorry these pics are so dark, I took them last night.


LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that I did it myself! 
Sure beats a day spent online looking for a better option - or wasting a day online, period!

In the words of  Barney Stinson, "I am Awesome!"
Haha

Here is the ORIGINAL 30 before 30 list

10 comments:

  1. Great Idea! I love the Grey and Orange room. I want to see the kid lounge all together. These sneak peeks are killing me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those canvas initials are adorable. The shelves are cool too. Did I miss the post on the canvas initials? You are so creative, I am glad I know you. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome! I've told you already. GREAT JOB on the shelves! I can't wait to see the ret of the room!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are awesome! You should teach a class on wood projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you like HIMYM! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, I am so making my hubby make these next weekend! Ok, I might help! I'll at least paint them! LOL! And haha at the Barney Stinson comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The canvas initials look so great. And the racks too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also- good for you for wearing your protective glasses! Shop Safety is very important!

    ReplyDelete