When I grow up...

This morning, while we were eating breakfast and talking to each other before Nathan had to leave (kids had no school today) Lucas said to me "When I grow up, I want to be just like my Dad. Except have more hair, and fight fires, and have lots of friends still, not just my wife."

I asked him why he wanted to be like his Daddy and he said "he always stops to serve someone else. He is always kind to other people."

I asked him what made him think about that and he said "when Daddy helped the blind lady get gas at the gas station on Saturday, and when he helped the crazy haired guy who had a dead car on the road. Don't you remember?"

I did remember. In fact, I shared this story with my Valiant 9 kids on Sunday. (we were talking about Enos)

So, here's the story.

We had just left the dealership and we pulled into the gas station for gas. I was teasing that I would be that old lady right there (I pointed to this woman) who had her face so close to the pump just to read the monitor.

Nathan gets out of the new van and can hear her saying "what am I doing wrong?, I just don't get it!" The snow was melting and dripping all over her blue coat and Nathan walked over to her pump to help her. She was 5'1 and hunched over and could barely see a thing. He helped her out and the kids were clapping for Nathan, the do gooder!

Not even 10 minutes after that we are driving along the on ramp to I25 and a cop whizzes right by an old man in a VW bug. He is overweight, hair all over the place and he seemed to be crying. Nathan pulled right behind him and talked to him to see what he needed. He ran out of gas and was on top of the hill and was trying to push his car down it, but there was no way he could do it. So, Nathan told him that he would push him with the van, down the hill to the gas station. We pushed, and almost hit a red light, but luckily we didn't. He was able to coast down the hill with just enough to get it where he needed to be. We pulled up next to him and asked if he needed anything else and he was thanking us over and over again, in tears that we stopped to help him.

I am so grateful to have found someone who is such a great example to me and my children. I couldn't have asked for a better partner in life. I hope Lucas is like Nathan when he grows up, too!

1 comment:

  1. What a great way to set an example for your kids -- a great reminder that they are ALWAYS watching you (and learning).

    Kind of concerned, though -- that the woman who can hardly read the gas pump is also DRIVING. Eek. Maybe you shouldn't have put more fuel in the car, LOL.

    ReplyDelete