A Gush

 Today was conference day for Mr. Lucas B. Witte

He goes by Lucas B. Witte because his middle name is Brendan and he used to insist on writing his WHOLE name at school, until I convinced him B. was a better and faster and more mature option. 
Think Thomas S. Monson, Gordon B. Hinckley, etc.


I just need to say that conferences are my favorite day because it is the one day you go to school without the child and the teachers just overflow with love for your child.  Lucas's music teacher told me how good he is at memorization, because he knows all 3 verses to the Great Grizzly song (school song) and he loves to identify sounds behind the guessing curtain.

She then showed me some video's of Lucas's class in action. This was so fun to watch. Lucas is very fortunate to only have 13 kids in his class, so each kid gets so much attention, in each special.

I then went into Art to ask Mrs. King a question and she showed us some things that the Kindergarteners were doing.  She told me that Lucas is very good at following directions and doesn't like to "go with the flow" he likes to be told exactly what to make or draw and if she doesn't tell him he draws FIRETRUCKS. Totally a shocker there. Haha.

The Gym teacher is Lucas's FAVORITE place to be. If he could he would be in gym all day.
Lucas has learned how to play basketball and now he wants a real one for Christmas. He knows the rules and strategies and takes the game very seriously.


Then I went to first grade. Mrs. Enge has been Lucas's reading teacher.  Lucas is advanced in reading so he gets to go to 1st Grade for 20-25 minutes 4x a week. This never interfered with Kindergarten time, but lately he has been asking to not go anymore. I talked to Mrs. Enge about it and part of the problem is that Lucas is with the lower reading group in the class and Lucas doesn't like to wait for them to read the whole sentence.
So, we decided as a team to not send him there anymore and he will get to work with the Para and Mrs. Kelso (kindergarten teacher) more exclusively on reading in 1st grade.


Now to Kindergarten. Mrs. Kelso is truly the kindergarten teacher you want your kid to have. She is so sweet and caring and loving and believes in every kid.  She said Lucas scored above average in everything especially math and they are going to give him more challenging concepts to work on because he has completed the Kindergarten Math Concepts.  

She also told me that Lucas has a very hard time with not being right, meaning he is a perfectionist. Which I knew about. Which is such a first born thing. We have been working on it and he is getting much better.
Lucas because of his reading is very good at sentence building and paragraph writing. She showed me some writing samples of where they need to be at the end of the year. Then she showed me Lucas's writing. They were almost identical.  I was so proud.

Lucas is well known at school. The orange hair helps, but I think its because he is so outgoing and friendly.


I loved my love on Lucas hour today.  When I came home and told him what a great job he was doing he just beamed with excitement. He is such a special boy.  I feel so lucky to have him in my life.

Off to have a jammie and movie watching day with the best big brother I know and his wild little sisters. :)

2 comments:

  1. Those are VERY cute photos!

    In the last picture, it looks like his eyes are like Bridget's were in that one picture. Or am I just seeing things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pics Val. He looks so grown up!

    Love my nephew!!!

    ReplyDelete